Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Be a part of CinemaVision today! Once registered and logged in, you will have access to public chat and your own private messenger, you can view and contribute guides, collaborate on the forums, review downloads, give reputation to your fellow members, contribute content and so much more. Registering is quick and completely free, so what are you waiting for?
   Sign In    Sign Up

Become a RedCarpet Club Member Today!

   Join Now
aufvr

Request: a version of "Actor Scramble" without so much text?

Recommended Posts

I love the concept of "Actor Scramble" for trivia! It's a great idea!

I was wondering, though, if there could be a version released with less text on the "answer" slides? The problem I'm having is that the large paragraph of text in the answers of "Actor Scramble" doesn't really sync well with the slide decks of other trivia (where the answer slides are quite a bit shorter--some literally just give the answer, without any "flavor" text at all).

In the status quo, I'm faced with a problem: either keep default duration for the answer slide, which doesn't give nearly enough time for a viewer to read the answer slides of "Actor Scramble"... OR, increase the amount of time for the answer slide, but then it gives the viewer WAY too much time to read the answer for more concise answers from other slide decks.

If possible, I'd love it if the "Actor Scramble" answers could be shortened to make it consistent with other trivia slide decks. 

Thanks as always for your consideration!

Au

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, aufvr said:

I love the concept of "Actor Scramble" for trivia! It's a great idea!

I was wondering, though, if there could be a version released with less text on the "answer" slides? The problem I'm having is that the large paragraph of text in the answers of "Actor Scramble" doesn't really sync well with the slide decks of other trivia (where the answer slides are quite a bit shorter--some literally just give the answer, without any "flavor" text at all).

In the status quo, I'm faced with a problem: either keep default duration for the answer slide, which doesn't give nearly enough time for a viewer to read the answer slides of "Actor Scramble"... OR, increase the amount of time for the answer slide, but then it gives the viewer WAY too much time to read the answer for more concise answers from other slide decks.

If possible, I'd love it if the "Actor Scramble" answers could be shortened to make it consistent with other trivia slide decks. 

Thanks as always for your consideration!

Au

We've actually been working on that, and more. Trimming down the text in trivia should be done soon, and then we'll work on re-running the slides and put up the new versions.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

We've actually been working on that, and more. Trimming down the text in trivia should be done soon, and then we'll work on re-running the slides and put up the new versions.

Beautiful! Thank you so much! And thank you also for always being so responsive to us; it's really cool realizing that, even though all of you put such an incredible amount of hard work into developing your brilliant software, we might also have some very small role in shaping it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, aufvr said:

Beautiful! Thank you so much! And thank you also for always being so responsive to us; it's really cool realizing that, even though all of you put such an incredible amount of hard work into developing your brilliant software, we might also have some very small role in shaping it.

We're always happy to help! The whole reason we started CinemaVision is because every one of us enjoys helping the community in any way we can, and we thought the idea was pretty cool. :) I fixed your post, CinemaVision belongs to each and every one of us. The community helps us shape everything from new features, to the UI, content and beyond. Every member of the community can be as involved, or as disconnected as they want to be.

Speaking for the whole team, it's people like you who contribute that make the most difference. We couldn't do any of this without your support. Thank you all for helping us make this thing a reality, and keeping it going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking that perhaps some of  the "movie facts" and "film quotes" need their own timer for similar reasons.  They seem to be using the "answer" timer and trying to read a paragraph in 6 seconds can be rough, yet like aufvr pointed out, for trivia questions that basically have one word answers, you're sitting there a long time staring at something like "Han Solo" if you increase the time to make film quotes readable.  

I don't know if it was just the one trivia slide set, but I recall at least one Star Wars (think it was Revenge of the Sith) set where it had a "blank" for the answer and it started filling in "hint" letters.  Not only did this take the equivalent time of like 5 normal trivia questions (i.e. I would never include that type for any reason personally), but it seemed to get the order wrong in that it gave the answer and then gave more hints.  Can we just pull intermediate slides out of a collection to skip over 5 hints so it gives ONE and that's it?  I hate to give up the entire Star Wars set because of one or two bad behaving slides. 

Many trivia slides seem to be followed immediately by film quotes from the same movie (don't think this is a coincidence since much of the time they seem to be related to that question).  Again, this seems to use the answer timer which means I often can't read them fast enough, particularly if I wasn't paying attention since the last answer was a "one word" one and I'm waiting for the next question.  Perhaps film quotes could be set to use the question timer instead?  That would make a lot more sense, IMO.  OTOH, maybe it already is and I'm just thinking 8-9 seconds are going by fast because I'm trying to look at the slide and read the text? 

I've also had the trivia timer be up and the movie previews start just as a slide comes up (say a film quote) I want to read and it cuts out.  I assume it will not show that one again since it will be marked read.  What about the possibility of extending the timer to finish a given slide set before proceeding (i.e. timer + current slide set)?  That would ensure it doesn't start the movie in the middle of a slide.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll speak with the team and see if we can work out a solution in the next release. I know one of the focuses of the next release is meta tags. Using tags might be a good solution to set timers for different categories such as hints, quotes and facts. Your right that in the Star Wars sets that the facts and quotes are strategically placed in relation to the question/answer. If you do encounter slides appearing in the wrong order reporting it would be helpful so we can correct the issue. I typically fix slide issues 48 hrs after they have been reported. I haven't heard any other feed back on the fill in the blank slides but if the general consensus is their too long we can shorten them or just make them question and answer.  Thanks for the feedback Vonmagnum 😀

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

About Us

CinemaVision began in 2014 as a collaboration to create content for use with your home theater, offering movie trivia slides and video bumpers. It has since grown to be THE PREMIER WAY to create and customize your preshow experience. Download the CinemaVision add-on for Kodi today from the official Kodi repository, and easily create a sequence of trivia, videos, trailers, home automation triggers and more that will bring the experience of a movie theater straight to your screen!

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Terms of Use.