Welcome, Guest!

Be a part of CinemaVision today! Once registered and logged in, you will have access to public chat and your own private messenger, you can view and contribute guides, collaborate on the forums, review downloads, give reputation to your fellow members, contribute content and so much more. Registering is quick and completely free, so what are you waiting for?
   Sign In    Sign Up

Become a RedCarpet Club Member Today!

Join Now
gamephoenix

Star Wars Trivia Slides in Pre-Production

No problem requesting different examples that's why I opened the creation of these to a forum. Really gives some perspective the developer just is to close to the project to really have.

I'll post a no answer Q&A and a black glow answer later tonight.

I was also thinking of opening up the Fact and Quote design up to the community similar to the way the Bond Skins are now, though with no restrictions other than a Screenshot placeholder has to be included, leaving the size up to the individual. I really like the work you've done on Dreamworks, Jape. Are you up to submitting some template designs?

Edited by gamephoenix

I'm good either way, but if you're taking a vote, I vote for the multiple choice looking better WITH the lightsaber hilts. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

We'll see how many more votes come in. I'm just a bit concerned if we make the hilts to saber-ratio correct size we will have issues with limited answer space.

Edited by gamephoenix

I'm good either way, but if you're taking a vote, I vote for the multiple choice looking better WITH the lightsaber hilts. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Just for giggles here is it with the hilts with the incorrect ratio. So lets see if people can live with it or if we go no hilts

MC Sabers with hilts.jpg

I think I am fine without seeing the Hilts...everyone knows what they represent and if they don't they won't be getting any of these questions right anyway...

The solid black black one looks a little off for some reason so definitely the stars for that one.  On the desert scene Both of these work well I think.  Maybe post one of these without the answer so I can flip back and forth to see the effect of the transition.

Also If you are up to it maybe try this last one with a dark glow/shadow with the same exaggerated proportions.  If it smokes out the background a little it's ok I just would like to see the transition effect.

Sorry for asking so much. 

And for Japes request for a dark glow/shadow here are a coupe of variations...

Q&A Answer over shadowed 2.jpg

Q&A Answer over shadowed.jpg

Now that I see it I think what you had earlier with the lighter glow looks better.

Edited by japes

Just for giggles here is it with the hilts with the incorrect ratio. So lets see if people can live with it or if we go no hilts

MC Sabers with hilts.jpg

That looks cool.  I know Star Wars fans are obsessive about stuff, but I don't think the incorrect hilt to saber ratio is a huge deal. This looks great, keep up the good work man!

TY buddy Ragnarok agrees. He also suggested the Question font be changed to the crawl font and tilted. I'd rather keep the reverse font scheme is at all possible. I don't think that will work well on MC with the sabers, but lets give it a whirl on the Q&A template.

I looked a Lucas's crawl and it's at a pretty steep angle which is not the easiest to read so I went a bit shallow on the incline. What do you think folks?

Q&A official template 3D tilt trial.jpg

and here is a tile that is closer to the actual crawl in angle, which I think is harder to read...

Q&A official template 3d tilt accurate.jpg

Keep in mind the longer the question the noticeable the tilt will be.

Alright guys a one more development I started the official competition to design the Fact and Quote templates. So those of you who have Photoshop can submit your ideas in this thread and we'll all vote in around 30 days. Here the official Announcement...

Yeah, not really a fan of the tilted text. It was a good idea, but I'm not sure how well it works in practice.

yeah we'll see what the reaction is. If we use it I'm thinking the 1st pic screen is the way to go though it looks like ti needs a darker outline. We'll see what Japes has to say as well. I did do it in LeitMotif only New Hope because it was so time consuming. Now that I'm using PS it's not so bad but still a decent amount of extra work. Here is what the tilt looked like in LeitMotif...

A new hope q1b.jpg

• Upvote 1

yeah we'll see what the reaction is. If we use it I'm thinking the 1st pic screen is the way to go though it looks like ti needs a darker outline. We'll see what Japes has to say as well. I did do it in LeitMotif only New Hope because it was so time consuming. Now that I'm using PS it's not so bad but still a decent amount of extra work. Here is what the tilt looked like in LeitMotif...

A new hope q1b.jpg

I agree that it works best with the darker backgrounds.  Here the tilt isn't that bad and I kinda like it.

With dynamic backgrounds the use for the Q&A and MC templates is probably out then. I think the effect also works better on larger bodies of text. This could be a good idea to try for the Fact template. Ragnarok suggested we go back to hilts as well, and to make more space I removed the Roman numerals. You can see the template in the competition forum. I'm hoping some of you out there will participate in the competition...

Well I guess I'll start off the competition since no one has submitted anything as of yet. Here is my first concept. I'm not entirely sure the Font is correct I had to Download it as I am on a different computer atm. Basically follows the same theme as the other two slides just things moved about a bit an resized. Larger screencap inside the Star Wars yellow frame with character to the right with text area up above. I didn't like how hard it was to read the font, may change when I get home and compare, so I did a dark overspread with the screen blending option.

Fact Template v1 ever spread.jpg

Edited by gamephoenix

Okay random thought what about foregoing the screen shot in a box and going wth the background is the screenshot and doing the images in a trading card style. Not a fully flushed out concept but possibly an idea

starwars.png

starwars2.png

starwars3.png

• Upvote 1

I like what I see Polargeek.

I got home and sure enough the font was not quite right. Still a little hard on the eyes but lets hear what people think without the overspread...

Fact Template v1 Font change.jpg

I like the lettering Polargeek. I tried it with mine and it just does not work well over pictures so perfect for your concept.

Here is a little bit of a crazy concept... I cut the space scene out of this shot from Empire Strikes back and now I can put anything I want behind it.

Fact_Template_v2.thumb.jpg.ec69e5c9eb2ff

Edited by gamephoenix

Gamephoenix suggested an alternate font

starwars4.png

The white on yellow is a little harsh but I like the idea.  What if you combine your idea with gamephoenix's screen shot box... 

I like what I see Polargeek.

I got home and sure enough the font was not quite right. Still a little hard on the eyes but lets hear what people think without the overspread...

Fact Template v1 Font change.jpg

Sort of scale your border inward to leave room for the Star at the top and Wars at the bottom and then change the background color for the text.  You can still have the yellow border to frame the screen shot but you would then be free to use something else for the text background.

The white on yellow is a little harsh but I like the idea.  What if you combine your idea with gamephoenix's screen shot box... 

Sort of scale your border inward to leave room for the Star at the top and Wars at the bottom and then change the background color for the text.  You can still have the yellow border to frame the screen shot but you would then be free to use something else for the text background.

Were not entirely sure what you mean Japes, if I send you both templates can you put something together? 

I've been going through screen capping A New Hope and I found a scene for another one of my crazy ideas. This is the Death Star briefing scene. I cut out the screen area and can put anything behind it. No logo for this one either but these factoids are designed to appear after the question so I don't think that is an issue really. Anyway here it is...

Fact Template v3.jpg

A new hope q1b.jpg

I like this, very nice.

Yeah that's from the old LeitMotif set were replacing. Pretty basic design. A lot of the cuts were done manually before I was able to start working with Adobe Photoshop which has some pretty advanced cutting tools. Although the Q&A look borderline acceptable the Multiple Choice slide are really bad, imo. I can only say that because I made them :P

Edited by gamephoenix

Were not entirely sure what you mean Japes, if I send you both templates can you put something together? 

sw_zps1rcrijjw.png

forgive the crudeness but I'm at work and limited to Paint but this should get the idea across...everything outside the yellow border including the text background would be one color (not Yellow)  

Okay now I see what you're going for. I think it loses the trading card feel I was going for by having the frame not fill the screen, so maybe something a little more like these?

starwars6.png

starwars5.png

Well this sucks, when I merged the saber blade layers it had an unwanted effect. As each saber blade has 5 layers there is going to be an extra 16 layers to the template :(

Before

MC_Official_Template_Hilts_no_Roman_Nume

After Merge

after_merge.thumb.jpg.55a470ccbed415c265

I started production on New Hope. were still working on the Quote and Fact templates but really wanted to get things on the move as we only have 2 months before the release of Star Wars 7. Not to late to submit an template entry in the competition, we are still looking for ideas.

Or we could go completely retro

Starwars7.png

Starwars8.png

This is more like what I meant...just take out the star wars burst balloon and add back in the Star Wars Title integrated into the border. Keep the border in the same proportions you show here and keep the text below like it is here.  If you look at my mockup and what you have here you will see what I meant..

I kinda of like the direction Polar is going actually if you want to go a different direction with it I think Polar would probably give you the template. At any rate before we start production on Quotes and Facts we'll take a vote.

here is a quick 30 second test. I believe this maintains the trading card look and the yellow border but the text background color can vary.

starwars3.jpg

Thanks Japes we all love your work on Dreamworks, we look forward to seeing your design concepts! Puss in Boots looks great BTW.

Thanks.  

here is a quick 30 second test. I believe this maintains the trading card look and the yellow border but the text background color can vary.

starwars3.jpg

Thanks.  

Very nice feel free to post any other ideas you have as well. We'll put it up for a vote in a few weeks.

Just wanted to give a shout and let everyone I will be starting per-production on The Force Unleashed trivia slides starting Monday April 4th. I've spoke to a few team members and I think we came to a consensus to use the same templates for Q&A, Multiple Choice and Quotes. I will be exploring a new template or one that was passed up the last round for Factoids. If anyone has any input don't hesitate to post it here. I'll post a pic of what we are leaning toward in the coming weeks.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, gamephoenix said:

Just wanted to give a shout and let everyone I will be starting per-production on The Force Unleashed trivia slides starting Monday April 4th. I've spoke to a few team members and I think we came to a consensus to use the same templates for Q&A, Multiple Choice and Quotes. I will be exploring a new template or one that was passed up the last round for Factoids. If anyone has any input don't hesitate to post it here. I'll post a pic of what we are leaning toward in the coming weeks.

Really looking forward to these. :)

Just finished notating the entire film. I have some really good material to formulate questions from. I'm think for part of the deck it will focus on Alien species, planets as there are so many new ones, not all are mentioned in the film, so some fan research man be preferable for answering the more difficult questions. Don't worry I'll be sure to include plenty of easier questions as well.

If any one has questions from other sources they would like to see in the set; post them here. I'd rather have hand picked questions as opposed to a huge spammed list. I'll update to the final question count and when the next phase begins.

Just finished writing the questions, all are original questions written by myself after a careful analysis of the film, watching the behind the scenes and a few videos pointing out all the Easter eggs. Not counting Facts as quotes, so far I have a total of 125 questions or a total 250 slides. 61 Multiple choice questions and 64 Question and answer. This coming week I'll performing an HD screen capture of the entire film. That process takes three to four days to complete. After that I'll batch the questions into slides and apply the graphics. That process takes around 2 to 3 weeks. I will post some early examples at the start of that process.

• Upvote 1

ForceAwakensMC_1_q.jpgForceAwakensMC_1_c1.jpgOfficially started creating the actual slides. Will take a approx. 3 weeks to complete. I changed the red lightsabre answer to Kylo Ren's Lightsabre. Below is an example of what to expect from Multiple choice slides...

• Upvote 1

Finally finished with multiple choice for a total of 70 questions (140 slides). just getting started on question and answer. Here are a couple more teasers while I keep plugging away on this huge deck...

ForceAwakensMC_70_q.jpgForceAwakensMC_70_c1.jpgForceAwakensQA_11_q.jpgForceAwakensQA_11_c1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1