Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Be a part of CinemaVision today! Once registered and logged in, you will have access to public chat and your own private messenger, you can view and contribute guides, collaborate on the forums, review downloads, give reputation to your fellow members, contribute content and so much more. Registering is quick and completely free, so what are you waiting for?
   Sign In    Sign Up

Become a RedCarpet Club Member Today!

   Join Now
OTA

Possible to add YouTube as a scraper?

Recommended Posts

I don't know if this would be possible, but what I'd ultimately like to use it for would to be to play short and intermission videos.  This would make it easy by just telling CV to stream a couple of random videos from a playlist of my making.  It would save a bunch of space as the bumpers wouldn't be hosted locally and time as you could then update or modify that playlist on YouTube to change the content rather than delete and copy files back and forth.  It's probably not possible or you guys would have already offered YouTube as a scraper for trailers, but thought I would ask.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OTA said:

I don't know if this would be possible, but what I'd ultimately like to use it for would to be to play short and intermission videos.  This would make it easy by just telling CV to stream a couple of random videos from a playlist of my making.  It would save a bunch of space as the bumpers wouldn't be hosted locally and time as you could then update or modify that playlist on YouTube to change the content rather than delete and copy files back and forth.  It's probably not possible or you guys would have already offered YouTube as a scraper for trailers, but thought I would ask.

And now I'm glad we thought ahead on this. :) You can currently play any streaming video as a bumper. The catch is, it has to be something the YouTube-DL plugin can play. Here's a list of supported websites. To use the functionality, create a text file with the contents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ3VQkK6Upo

Now rename the extension to .CVURL and point to it as if it were a video file. You will now have the Honest Trailer for Captain America: Civil War in your Sequence. We still have to add support for randomizing a video from a playlist, but that's on our list. Let me know if you have any questions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OTA said:

I don't know if this would be possible, but what I'd ultimately like to use it for would to be to play short and intermission videos.  This would make it easy by just telling CV to stream a couple of random videos from a playlist of my making.  It would save a bunch of space as the bumpers wouldn't be hosted locally and time as you could then update or modify that playlist on YouTube to change the content rather than delete and copy files back and forth.  It's probably not possible or you guys would have already offered YouTube as a scraper for trailers, but thought I would ask.

And now I'm glad we thought ahead on this. :) You can currently play any streaming video as a bumper. The catch is, it has to be something the YouTube-DL plugin can play. Here's a list of supported websites. To use the functionality, create a text file with the contents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ3VQkK6Upo

Now rename the extension to .CVURL and point to it from your Video Bumper Module as if it were a video file. You will now have the Honest Trailer for Captain America: Civil War in your Sequence. We still have to add support for randomizing a video from a playlist, but that's on our list. Let me know if you have any questions!

Kodi by default gets its trailers from YouTube, so the KodiDB scraper is technically a YouTube scraper. :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay.  Made myself a file and included a link to a YouTube video and it worked like a champ.  I guess I'd have to make a file for each video?  I tried putting two links in the file and it skipped it during the sequence.  I tried putting a blank line in between then and that still didn't work.  File only worked when I deleted the second link and left the first as a single line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OTA said:

Okay.  Made myself a file and included a link to a YouTube video and it worked like a champ.  I guess I'd have to make a file for each video?  I tried putting two links in the file and it skipped it during the sequence.  I tried putting a blank line in between then and that still didn't work.  File only worked when I deleted the second link and left the first as a single line.

For now, yes. One video per CVURL file, and no support for playlists. Those are items on the list for the next round of development.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2016 at 0:47 AM, Ragnarok said:

For now, yes. One video per CVURL file, and no support for playlists. Those are items on the list for the next round of development.

Hi Ragnarok.  Just one last question.  I'd rather ask than run through it multiple times to see if it works.  Do I have to point to it as a file or can I put several cvurl files in a directory so it can run random?  I'd like to mix both local files and cvurl files in my short film directory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OTA said:

Hi Ragnarok.  Just one last question.  I'd rather ask than run through it multiple times to see if it works.  Do I have to point to it as a file or can I put several cvurl files in a directory so it can run random?  I'd like to mix both local files and cvurl files in my short film directory.

Hey hey! CinemaVision treats CVURL files as if they were videos. If you have them in a directory, mixed or alone, you can point to that directory and play them at random. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

About Us

CinemaVision began in 2014 as a collaboration to create content for use with your home theater, offering movie trivia slides and video bumpers. It has since grown to be THE PREMIER WAY to create and customize your preshow experience. Download the CinemaVision add-on for Kodi today from the official Kodi repository, and easily create a sequence of trivia, videos, trailers, home automation triggers and more that will bring the experience of a movie theater straight to your screen!

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Terms of Use.