Welcome, Guest!

Be a part of CinemaVision today! Once registered and logged in, you will have access to public chat and your own private messenger, you can view and contribute guides, collaborate on the forums, review downloads, give reputation to your fellow members, contribute content and so much more. Registering is quick and completely free, so what are you waiting for?
   Sign In    Sign Up

Become a RedCarpet Club Member Today!

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, sea eu causae aperiri periculis, iusto affert soleat an sea, soluta petentium inciderint nec no. Dolorum reprimique ullamcorper sed ad. Ei quo malorum singulis, tota mundi feugait ut pro. Choro utamur inimicus ex sea. Tota dicit te usu. Sea ad erant possim reformidans. An modus detraxit postulant vel. Per no habeo ludus qualisque. Vix legere singulis legendos et, an cum eius soluta accumsan. Facer discere no nec.
   Join Now

Download the Kodi Add-on Today!

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, sea eu causae aperiri periculis, iusto affert soleat an sea, soluta petentium inciderint nec no. Dolorum reprimique ullamcorper sed ad. Ei quo malorum singulis, tota mundi feugait ut pro. Choro utamur inimicus ex sea. Tota dicit te usu. Sea ad erant possim reformidans. An modus detraxit postulant vel. Per no habeo ludus qualisque. Vix legere singulis legendos et, an cum eius soluta accumsan. Facer discere no nec.
th0r4z1n3

Control Raspberry Pi/Send SSH Commands (Where To Start)?

Question

This is my digital poster display: 

http://www.plastiquefreak.com/digital-movie-poster-display-part-3-a-taste-of-pi/

I'm using a Raspberry Pi unit to control each of them. I'm looking for a way to send a command to them to dim, or turn off, the poster display during movie playback... but I honestly have no idea where to start. Lol & face palm at the same time.

Is it possible to send an ssh command using CV? Sorting through all the non-relevant information is getting a bit time consuming, and am hoping someone can at least point me to a good starting point.

Edited by th0r4z1n3

5 answers to this question

5 hours ago, th0r4z1n3 said:

This is my digital poster display: 

http://www.plastiquefreak.com/digital-movie-poster-display-part-3-a-taste-of-pi/

I'm using a Raspberry Pi unit to control each of them. I'm looking for a way to send a command to them to dim, or turn off, the poster display during movie playback... but I honestly have no idea where to start. Lol & face palm at the same time.

Is it possible to send an ssh command using CV? Sorting through all the non-relevant information is getting a bit time consuming, and am hoping someone can at least point me to a good starting point.

You absolutely can send SSH. I'd use the Python module pxssh to do it. You can also run any command line from an Action File if that's easier. Check out our guides for examples. Now, all that said, I'm not sure how you'd be able to manipulate your displays to dim/turn off on command. If it were me, I'd use either MoviePoster (Windows) or PseudoCinema Poster (Kodi Add-on) to create the posters. It looks like the setup you have for the Pi just plays random posters you feed it, where both of the mentioned applications actually connect to your Kodi install and play posters for movies in your library, and even show now playing information. We also have a direct line to both of those developers, so we might be able to get them to add the dim/turn off functionality if it doesn't already exist in the applications.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

You absolutely can send SSH. I'd use the Python module pxssh to do it. You can also run any command line from an Action File if that's easier. Check out our guides for examples. Now, all that said, I'm not sure how you'd be able to manipulate your displays to dim/turn off on command. If it were me, I'd use either MoviePoster (Windows) or PseudoCinema Poster (Kodi Add-on) to create the posters. It looks like the setup you have for the Pi just plays random posters you feed it, where both of the mentioned applications actually connect to your Kodi install and play posters for movies in your library, and even show now playing information. We also have a direct line to both of those developers, so we might be able to get them to add the dim/turn off functionality if it doesn't already exist in the applications.

I looked through the guide, but to be honest I was pretty clueless where to start. I looked under the RPi section but there wasn't anything there lol. Thanks for the starting point, either of these should be a great place to start. I only need to send a single command to turn them off "/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -o" (-p to turn on), so as long as I can muddle my way through setting that up it should work splendidly. Thanks for the help, all the search results for "ssh raspberry pi kodi" just seemed to return results for controlling Kodi when it's installed on a Pi... cool but not what I needed and a LOT to sort through lol.

I looked at the MoviePoster app before I went with the Pi set up. I liked the way it looked but it didn't quite fit the bill for what I was doing. IIRC I had to run a cable from my Kodi box all the way around the room to the other displays, and I don't think I had the ability to run two different poster displays (however that could have been a limitation of the number of video out options I had on my pc, it's been a while).

I've never heard of PseudoCinema Poster, I'll have to take a look at that, but I'm fairly happy with my current setup... minus not being able to dim them lol. I like seeing posters for movies that I don't currently own, as well as ones I do, as they often remind me about movies I haven't  gotten around to buying yet.

Once I get a bit more time I think I'm going to look into a way to have the RPi's automatically add something like "now playin" to the top of the images to see if I can get away from having to stretch them so much to fit the screens, but that's a discussion for another day, and probably a Pi forum.

Thanks again Man! :D

No problem boss. Check out the guide for Actions. It should have most of the information you need. We don't have Pi guides yet. Want to be the first to make one?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

No problem boss. Check out the guide for Actions. It should have most of the information you need. We don't have Pi guides yet. Want to be the first to make one? emoji3.png

If I can figure out how to do something, I'm more than happy to contribute. :)

Hey th0r4z1n3,

The latest version of the MoviePoster App for Windows actually can now just be run on a machine and left running.  You can then just load a browser on your Pis to play your posters.  It now has a built in WebServer.  It works great.  I use it currently.  The app automatically I believe has the options for dimming and the like within it.  The app you just put in where your Kodi box is on your network and monitors the connection for now playing and the like.  I did a demo video showing this app here.   Sorry for the shaky video :).  The application also has options for custom posters as well.  

If you do continue and create your own I"d be more then happy to help!  I have some pis so I can test and what not.